Saturday, April 28, 2012

Japanese Garden Pyjama bottoms


I didn't mention anything about making pyjama bottom's for Karen's Pyjama Party because, in my typical fashion, it was a last minute thing. I thought it could be a great occasion for some stash bustin' and in fact I pulled out this flowery cotton I've had for ages and never got around to use.



This wasn't exactly your 2-hours-super simple project.
First of all: the pattern. Much to my surprise, there are no pyjama patterns in any issue of Burda from the last three years. I found a pair of bermuda from the 06/2010 issue that could be lengthned, but then I flipped through an old La Mia Boutique and found a pair of pants with elastic waistband that looked perfect for the job.
Of course I realised AFTER cutting the fabric that the pattern was meant for knit fabrics, so there was no way I could pull them up past my knees. Since I didn't want to just throw the fabric away, I added two triangular panels at the sides. The print is busy ebough not to make them too evident.
I also realised that they were too low, expecially at the back (thank you, big butt), so I added a waistband in a contrasting fabric. I also ended up removing a bit of witdh from the leg, because they were extremely wide.
Whew! That was much more work than I expected, but at least they're finished, wearable and quite cute.


Karen also asked us to share our current readings. For me, it's "A Dance With Dragons", the fifth book from the fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George RR Martin. I started reading the books last year after falling in love with the TV show by HBO and now I'm a huge nerd. I have about 200 pages left to read and then I'll start to desperately wait for the next book to come out, which won't happen for at least another year. I really don't know how I'll do without reading daily about these characters! At least, in the last year I spent reading the series, my reading list became quite long, so it'll keep myself busy for a while. First up will be "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlin.

30 comments:

  1. Annoying to have so much work finally! I was as suprised as you to find that no pyjamas were in the Burda magazines, weird!
    in the end your pyjamas look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yup, just a lot of yoga pants patterns. I found out there was a pyjama pattern in an issue from 2009, but of course I was missing it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pjs! The Japanese print is so pretty and I love that contrasting waistband, such a special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But despite the irritation you had, you pulled it off & I ADORE the fabric....such a great bright pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, love these...your fabric is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...It seems perfect to me! It's so hard to find a comfortable pijama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the "easy" projects are quite tricky! The result is great!!

    I love Song of Ice and Fire too ;) I haven't read the books yet... and can't wait to know more and more about all the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love game of thrones and I read it all, I cannot wait for the next 2 books to come out.

    These pjs are so cute and bright and the detail waistband made me very envious lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the contrast waist band! I haven't read Game of Thrones... It sounds great so I'll have to seek it out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Vickikate- the contrast waistband is very fab- so are the slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! I love the fabrics you chose. The contrasting waistband is a nice touch.

    EEEHH! I just finished the first GOT book last night and really, really enjoyed it. The second one is on it's way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of things happen in the second book... Enjoy!

      Delete
  11. I really like the waistband too, I may have to do that on my next pair. Hmm, Games of Thrones. You are the second attendee at the Pyjama Party to be reading this. I have to add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niiiiiice! The fabric is fabulous. I also love the stripy contrast waistband. I went through the LMBs as well but settled on Burda because I wanted straight-cut stovepipes not tapered legs. If you're into sci-fi I highly recommend Alistair Reynolds (British Sci-Fi awesomeness). It's space opera at its best. He's also got a 40s noire novel out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll definitely check that out! I've actually never read sci-fi, but the movie "Starship Troopers" is one of my guilty pleasures and my boyfriend convinced me to try and read the book.

      Delete
  13. Ooh, gorgie-gorg-gorg-gorgeous! (That's a technical term.) I love that colour and they suit you so well. Particularly love the detail of the waistband and the red slippers. What a happy outfit to wake up in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! And thanks again for hosting the sewalong!

      Delete
  14. Ooh - I love that fabric! Don't you just hate it when a "quick and simple" project turns into a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute PJs and lovely fabric. A Game of Thrones is on my reading list for later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's my book, too! Fun reads, right? My husband and I started the series on our honeymoon through the Alps last summer. We've been slowly reading the series together ever since then. Have you also read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss? Only two books of the three-part series have been published to date, but they'd keep you occupied while waiting for the next Song of Ice and Fire book. What a fun pyjama party Karen's hosted. I've enjoyed getting to see everyone's pajamas and sneaking a peek at their current reading list. I'm sorry yours took so much hacking, but they look great. Definitely worth the effort. The contrasting waistband is actually a cute feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into that! :)

      Delete
  17. The fabric is gorgeous goes so well with your slippers, very nice jammies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I think that is my favourite fabric of the party so far - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you persisted and finished them because it was worth it! To die for fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is some great fabric! Love all the colors in it. And good job problem solving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anything that color grabs my attention, and these are gorgeous!! Isn't it nice to have pretty PJ's?
    I've read the first 2 of the Song of Fire and Ice series, just took a wee break for another book, then I'm headed back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE these-- what a great color/print/fit! Great job! I'm glad you found a way to work around the issues you had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pajama pants look great! The fabric is to die for and who cares if it was meant for a knot pattern. Nobody knows that.

    ReplyDelete